Project BACK stands for Backpack Assistance and Care for our Kids. The program began at Raleigh Park in 2013 thanks to the caring and hard work of one Raleigh Park parent, Patti Coleman, who took it upon herself to find the funding and volunteer support to start the program.
It works like this:
Because many children rely on school cafeterias for their most nutritious meals each day – Monday mornings see too many Raleigh Park students coming back to school hungry. In 2013, for example, 31% (~133 students) of the families attending Raleigh Park qualified for the free lunch program.
Project BACK provides students with food, in assigned backpacks, to take home for weekend meals for themselves and their family. This service is free and sponsored by St. Matthew Lutheran Church (SCAT). In addition, a generous donation from Tektronix currently allows Project BACK to send home food weekly. Families are also encouraged to contact “Care to Share” at 503-591-9025 for additional nutritional support such as meats, eggs, fresh and frozen vegetables. Qualified families can also request help with utilities.
Project BACK has been incredibly successful in the short time it’s been up and running at Raleigh Park. In February 2013, the program began with 5 families and quickly grew to 15 in less than 2 months. By June 2014, up to 30 families and more than 150 people have received assistance from Project BACK. For the 2014 – 2015 school year, we are anticipating up to 30 families throughout the year taking part in the program.
Project BACK is always looking for:
Dental supplies (toothbrushes/toothpaste)
New/Gently Used Backpacks
Recycled/Reusable Grocery bags (not plastic)
In great condition books (appropriate for K-5)
New workbooks (for K-5)
New school supplies
Personal Care Items (deodorant, shampoo, conditioner)
- Tektronix: $6,800
- Raleigh Park families: over $3,000
- Trust fund donation: over $3,000
- Walmart Raleigh Hills: $1,500
- Valley Presbyterian: $ + over 90 backpacks
- US Bank Raleigh Hills: $250
- Fred Meyer Raleigh Hills: $250
- Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints: $ + FOOD + Personal Care Items
- Laurelwood Nail Co.: $135
- Jesuit: over 90 Holiday Boxes, + 55 bikes and helmets
- Wells Fargo Raleigh Hills: $60
- Beaverton Education Foundation: 30 backpacks
- Nike: 60 backpacks
- Matthew: Lots of food, Christmas gifts, Backpacks and School Supplies
- Nelson Dentistry: Toothbrushes/Toothpaste
- Paradigm Dental: Toothbrushes/Toothpaste
- Portsmouth Dental: Toothbrushes/Toothpaste
- South Minster Presbyterian: $1,000 grant
- City of Beaverton: $9,000 grant
- Pacific Foods: many weekend food boxes, Thanksgiving chickens and lots more!
- Girl Scouts: 72 Girl Scout Cookie Boxes and Birthday bags
- Matthew backpack packing team: $10 each Fred Meyer gift card
- Tualatin Parks and Recreation District (THPRD): Adopted 1 RP family at Christmas
Raleigh Park PTO also thanks the many volunteers that have helped make this program successful this last school year (2016-2017):
Raleigh Park PTO also thanks the many volunteers that have helped make this program successful to date:
Johanna Kennely Ullman